NewsGiffy

Hey everyone! I’m sure you’ve all noticed that NewsGiffy has been on a pretty long hiatus since January. It’s been a great new adventure to run this website, and I really learned many things from it. 

For now, I’m focusing my energy on other projects, but who knows, maybe I’ll come back to NewsGiffy one day. 

Thanks again for following me on this interesting journey, and see you all again soon (?)

Feb 28
Hiatus Notice:
I for one, welcome our new robot librarian overlords. 

Students simply click the book links on the library’s website, which is shortly retrieved after by the bookbot if they are in stock. The system has 1.5 million books in storage, stored in 1/9th of the space needed for traditional bookshelves because of their technological advantage. 

[Watch full video at: Associated Press]
Jan 7

I for one, welcome our new robot librarian overlords. 
Students simply click the book links on the library’s website, which is shortly retrieved after by the bookbot if they are in stock. The system has 1.5 million books in storage, stored in 1/9th of the space needed for traditional bookshelves because of their technological advantage. 
[Watch full video at: Associated Press]

 Like a robotic pied piper, the RoboRoach kit allows us to control what directions we want the roach to go — but you’ll have to catch them first.
Backyard Brain’s RoboRoach requires extensive roach surgery — yes, that’s a thing — to attach the $100 control circuit on top. After that, the roach is at the mercy of your will. It works by stimulating the roach’s antennae nerves and tricking it into going certain directions. 

[Full article at: Techli] 
Jan 7

 Like a robotic pied piper, the RoboRoach kit allows us to control what directions we want the roach to go — but you’ll have to catch them first.

Backyard Brain’s RoboRoach requires extensive roach surgery — yes, that’s a thing — to attach the $100 control circuit on top. After that, the roach is at the mercy of your will. It works by stimulating the roach’s antennae nerves and tricking it into going certain directions. 
[Full article at: Techli

If you don’t need it, beat it. 

The concept behind Downsize Fitness is that the gym only accepts members who are overweight. Founder Francis Wisnewski created the gym to foster an environment without judgment and pressure for those who are overweight. The shared goals encourage a group moral support and a beneficial relationship among gym members.

[Watch full video at: Associated Press]
Jan 7

If you don’t need it, beat it. 
The concept behind Downsize Fitness is that the gym only accepts members who are overweight. Founder Francis Wisnewski created the gym to foster an environment without judgment and pressure for those who are overweight. The shared goals encourage a group moral support and a beneficial relationship among gym members.
[Watch full video at: Associated Press]

Bullet-proof jackets for 5-year olds: This is now a thing.
Formerly the fashion accessory of rap artists and the fashion necessity reserved for SWAT team members, Colombian company Miguel Caballero now shifts his target audience towards toddlers. Coming in bright colors and childish designs, these kiddy vests provide a strong protection from the toughest bullets. The company president believes that it became a necessary protection after the Sandy Hook shooting, and plans only to sell the product to Americans.

[Watch full video at: Associated Press]
Jan 4

Bullet-proof jackets for 5-year olds: This is now a thing.
Formerly the fashion accessory of rap artists and the fashion necessity reserved for SWAT team members, Colombian company Miguel Caballero now shifts his target audience towards toddlers. Coming in bright colors and childish designs, these kiddy vests provide a strong protection from the toughest bullets. The company president believes that it became a necessary protection after the Sandy Hook shooting, and plans only to sell the product to Americans.
[Watch full video at: Associated Press]

Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree, how tasty are your branches?
At a zoo in Northern Germany, polar bears, moose and bisons feast on old Christmas trees after the holiday season has passed. The zoo-keepers say that the animals are attracted to the Christmas tree’s fresh taste and smell, and also find them fun to play with.

[Watch full video at: Associated Press] 
Jan 4

Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree, how tasty are your branches?
At a zoo in Northern Germany, polar bears, moose and bisons feast on old Christmas trees after the holiday season has passed. The zoo-keepers say that the animals are attracted to the Christmas tree’s fresh taste and smell, and also find them fun to play with.
[Watch full video at: Associated Press

Talk about putting a pep in your step.
American Scientist Zhong Lin Wang and his research at Georgia Tech are developing a battery-power pack that can be charged through physical movement. By attaching the battery onto anything that moves — a shoe, a wheel, even an ocean wave — the battery is able to charge itself. He is looking to attach the technology to cellphones for self-sufficient energy, but also on a much larger scale to provide electricity. Calculations show that 1-cubic meter of this battery is responsible for 30,000 watts of energy. 

[Watch full video at: CNN] 
Jan 3

Talk about putting a pep in your step.
American Scientist Zhong Lin Wang and his research at Georgia Tech are developing a battery-power pack that can be charged through physical movement. By attaching the battery onto anything that moves — a shoe, a wheel, even an ocean wave — the battery is able to charge itself. He is looking to attach the technology to cellphones for self-sufficient energy, but also on a much larger scale to provide electricity. Calculations show that 1-cubic meter of this battery is responsible for 30,000 watts of energy. 
[Watch full video at: CNN

The secret warrant-less wiretapping program set forth by George W. Bush after 9/11 has just been approved for 5 years, and is expected to be signed by President Obama soon. The program met restrictions in 2008, to require warrants for eavesdropping on American citizens, but the program’s secrecy prevents any more restrictions, with supporters arguing the whole program would collapse if any more information were revealed.

[Watch full video at: CNN]
Jan 3

The secret warrant-less wiretapping program set forth by George W. Bush after 9/11 has just been approved for 5 years, and is expected to be signed by President Obama soon. The program met restrictions in 2008, to require warrants for eavesdropping on American citizens, but the program’s secrecy prevents any more restrictions, with supporters arguing the whole program would collapse if any more information were revealed.
[Watch full video at: CNN]

President Obama and Congress narrowly avoided going over the fiscal cliff with a last-minute bill passed shortly after New Year’s day. With the deal, President Obama plans on increasing the tax rates for the wealthiest 2% in America and keeping the tax codes for the other 98% of Americans stable.

[Watch full video at: Associated Press]
Jan 3

President Obama and Congress narrowly avoided going over the fiscal cliff with a last-minute bill passed shortly after New Year’s day. With the deal, President Obama plans on increasing the tax rates for the wealthiest 2% in America and keeping the tax codes for the other 98% of Americans stable.
[Watch full video at: Associated Press]

Travelling over 1400 miles, China now owns the world’s largest high-speed train route in the world. It’s capable of heading from Beijing to Guangzhou in 8 hours — the same amount of distance from New York City to Florida. The train line is part of China’s expansion to connect all their major cities with populations of over 500,000 residents. 

[Watch full video at: Associated Press]
Dec 26

Travelling over 1400 miles, China now owns the world’s largest high-speed train route in the world. It’s capable of heading from Beijing to Guangzhou in 8 hours — the same amount of distance from New York City to Florida. The train line is part of China’s expansion to connect all their major cities with populations of over 500,000 residents. 
[Watch full video at: Associated Press]